Thread: Wear of the Uniform/Appearance Off-Installation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by patmc View Post
    It is great to see that the Army is not currently gainfully employed and has enough free time to change the uniform... again. The Dress Blues look sharp and have more impact bc you only wear them on special occasions. If they add patches and flare, it will ruin the uniform.
    I don't think they're adding much flair. There was a survey sent out via AKO awhile ago seeking opinions about how to replicate the SSI and FWTS patches on the uniforms. I think they're going for pin on crests.

The SMA ran with the 82nd last week (nobody pointed out he is not airborne) when he was here on Bragg. I wonder if he checked any barracks? Clearly a new uniform deserved more attention than taking care of Soldiers or fighting a war these past couple years.
    I assume you're being sly here. Just because he wasn't offered the opportunity as a 19K to throw himself out of an airplane 5 times makes him ineligible as SMA to run with the 82d? If he's not air assault, can he not run with the 101st?

I always base my opinions on people by the tabs they wear and not by who they are. He wasn't selected as SMA for being an idiot.

Sir, I really hope this is a rumor/joke.
    I doubt it, this move started under Shoomaker. The general argument is that in the long run it will be cheaper for the soldiers. Only two uniforms to maintain (ACU and Dress), unless you opt for mess dress (chicks dig it).

I personally hate green A's/B's. Blues will be much better as long as they don't kill it with flair, as you said.

The pant will change from a suspender to a belted version. A grey shirt will be fielded which will be the "Class B" shirt for the uniform.

Also this from Marlow White's website:

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow White Sez
    Dress Blue Uniform Change Update (6 Mar 08): GEN Casey has commented recently that an announcement concerning the Dress Blue Uniform Change is likely to occur early this summer. Our guess is that such an announcement would be on June 14 (Army's Birthday) as previous major uniform changes have been announced on that date. Currently, the "Class A" version of the Dress Blue is not implemented and the Class A Green Uniform is still in effect. Marlow White is NOT a member of the Army Uniform Board; however, the industry's expectations are that the Army's Dress uniform will become a variation of the current Dress Blue Uniform.
    Also This from the Army's own news release (dated):

Quote Originally Posted by Da Man Sez:
    WASHINGTON (Army News Service - June 6, 2006) -- Army service uniforms will be streamlined to one blue Army Service Uniform, the Army announced today.

“World-class Soldiers deserve a simplified, quality uniform. The blue Army Service Uniform is a traditional uniform that is consistent with the Army’s most honored traditions,” said Sgt. Maj. Of the Army Kenneth O. Preston.

“We have all of these variations of uniforms – green, blue and white,” said Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker. “It makes sense for us to go to one traditional uniform that is really sharp and high quality and which Soldiers will be very proud to wear. And that’s what we’ve done by adopting this blue Army Service Uniform that reflects simplicity, quality, utility and tradition.”

Many Soldiers already own an Army blue uniform (now to be called the Army Service Uniform) and may continue to wear it. Improvements will be made to the fabric and fit. Reduction of the number of uniforms will reduce the burden on Soldiers for purchases and alteration cost.

Introduction in the Army Military Clothing Sales Stores should begin in fourth quarter of fiscal year 2007. Introduction in the Clothing Bag should begin first quarter 2009. The Mandatory Possession Date is expected to be fourth quarter fiscal year 2011.

A wear-out date for the Army Green Class A and White dress uniforms will be determined at a later date.

The consolidation of Army service uniforms is part of a streamlining process. In 2004, the Army reduced the number of battle dress uniforms from three to one when it adopted the Army Combat Uniform in place of the Woodland Green Battle Dress Uniform (winter and summer versions) and the Desert Combat Uniform. That uniform consolidation has been a resounding success in terms of Soldier acceptance and reducing the variety of combat uniforms with which they must deal.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 05-29-2008 at 04:30 AM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?