Lot of truth in that, morality is very much an individual construct so it seems to me I can comment on my own morality but cannot really do so in regard to others. On another plane, a war may necessary or even for a good purpose but that doesn't change the fact that war is essentially in and of itself immoral and a stupid human endeavor so I'm not sure that any talk of morality in warfare is of much use. All that's just my take...

Allowing for the facts that it's entirely too easy for us to pass judgment on incidents in war even though we know that information flow can be spotty, that reports after the fact are invariably skewed by commission or omission both purposely and inadvertently (and that is particularly true of after action investigations), it really behooves us to be careful in making assessments if we weren't there.

That, however, does not mean that given reasonable and lengthy coverage of an incident one cannot make some judgments; one can and should -- that's how we learn and avoid future mistakes of our own. Thus, it seems to me that his decisions were really bad from a leadership and from a tactical perspective and so I can and do fault him on those grounds. I can also understand RTKs comment and agree based on the fact that after making dumb decisions, Sassaman tries to justify 'em with public whining. No morality involved.