Thread: Afghanistan: colonialism or counterinsurgency?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Clarity for readers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I don't think David's arguing for a "slim-down" in the sense that you mean, Danny. The way I read his post indicated to me that what he's hoping for is an Afghan force that allows such a reduction to take place. Is it there now? No.
    Correct, My fear is that public and political patience will ebb away - for all manner of reasons. One way of avoiding this, alongside a "slim down" is a steady and visible increase in local security forces, ready to die for their home. This maybe too much like Vietnamisation for some.

As for the military tactics each nation pursues, that is what happens in an alliance; plus the political directions given or agreed to. I am not a spokesman for "Only the British Army knows how to win COIN" school of thought (if there is one). Time will tell which methods work best.

Having read a few books on British involvement in Afghanistan, in our imperial age, I am very wary of modern involvement. Nothing is ever very clear there. The drug trade aspect is not something I ignore (as per comments on other threads).

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-04-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add more text.