Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
If, as the Bush administration has held, they are not "legal combatants", then what are they? The rhetorical answer was to call them "criminals", but even criminals have rights under international laws to which the US is a signatory...
A second and, IMO, more important reason stands behind all of the rhetoric: by attempting to declare these people as "non-persons" and outside of the law, they are being defined as "non-human" and, hence, anything done to them is fine. But, if history teaches us anything, every time a society has defined one group of people as non-humans (i.e. outside the law), that same society will turn around and define other groups the same way.
Forgive me if this is an exceedingly dumb question, but I am a pretty unsophisticated observer of legal whatnot, especially the international variety (but I think that my input is useful because I tend to have the same confusion over this issue that most average schmoes do). So long as the "war on terror" continues, why is it not permissible to simply keep these folks locked up? Isn't standard practice to keep POW's in detention until hostilies cease? It also seems to me that, rather than haggling over the current interpretations of international law, we should be pushing for revisions. In the past, we coerced a nation into submission and then their military hierarchy diseminated the order to cease hostilities. That cannot occur now, as al-Qaeda and similar organizations do not function this way, so it seems that we need to update our laws in order for them to be workable.

As far as them being non-US citizens, that is immaterial. They have been captured by US troops and, unless you wish to argue that US troops are not bound by laws when in foreign countries, they have to be treated under a rule of law scenario. If they are captured during a "time of war" then they should be treated under the Geneva Conventions or else the US is breaking those conventions.
Understood, but there are a fair number of people who think that they should be tried in our court systems, as if they were normal defendants in a criminal case. That was my reason for emphasizing their non-US status.

Where you (the US) are getting into trouble is by declaring them "criminals" or trying to create uncovered categories. By declaring them "criminals" and bringing them into US jurisdiction, you are automatically typing them and, as such, they have the full protection of your constitution.
That sounds about right, even to my unsophisticated brain. The lawyers seem to outnumber the chiefs and the indians.