Thread: The Decline in America's Reputation: Why?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default One possible response ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    I have a terrible feeling that "Why?" was probably a honest question and needs a more elaborate answer...

Lying to us in the U.N. assembly.

Invading a sovereign country.

Refusing co-operation in many international treaties.

Bullying and disrespecting even close allies.

Kidnap of free individuals overseas.

Violating captured person's rights by denying both criminal and POW rights.

Torture.

Heating up of international conflicts by threatening other countries (which is illegal).

Unnecessarily promoting a conflict with Russia.

Disrespect towards U.N.

Spying on corporations and individuals even in allied countries.

Huge arms sales into crisis regions, to both sides.

Repeated friendly fire on allied troops.

Repeated attack on civilians by fighter-bombers "in self defence" (few accept this justification)

Cheating the world economically.

Over-stressing natural resources with wasteful consumption and economic behaviour.

That's more than the Soviet Union had as foreign policy sins at its peak.
    The U.S. government needs to learn respect, quickly. Powers who don't respect others cannot expect good relations.

@Steve:
    That's a typical point of view of Americans. Fact is that this might apply to some countries, but has no relevance about the general situation.
    ... to your list is that the anti-American propaganda campaign has been obviously effective.

To take just one point, "Disrespect towards U.N.," I have held the UN in contempt since Biafra. Self righteous posturing on nearly every humanitarian crisis since has only confirmed my opinion.

My point on this one, and I could make one similar on each of the issues raised, is that someone should explain, using concrete examples of quantifiable alleviation of human suffering, just exactly why the UN deserves any respect?

I grant you, the US commits more than its share of screw ups. But that's what happens when somebody steps forward, takes a moral position, and actually tries to accomplish something in the real world.
    Last edited by J Wolfsberger; 06-12-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.