Thread: The Decline in America's Reputation: Why?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

@patmc:

One of the most relevant factors is in my opinion the loss of political capital. That diminished the diplomatic influence.

As someone once said, Baker accumulated capital by building the coalition against Saddam in 1990, GWBush spent all political capital by building the "coalition of the willing" and attacking Saddam again.

And I believe you are wrong with your assertion that the U.S. has most influence in the world. That's a shadow of the past. I don't see any country being significantly ahead in influence to date. China, UK, France, Germany, Russia and the USA all have significant influence, albeit in different regions and with different methods.
    The USA failed with too many diplomatic initiatives in the past years to be considered very influential.

@Surferbeetle:

I don't see a parallel to your example.

My suggestion is to return to normality, which includes mutual respect.

---

Btw; it's not relevant whether Americans think that the world is unfair to them. If they want to recover to a better standing and to more respect, then they need to do something about the causes.
    Few foreigners will be impressed by "you treat us unfairly" or "you are anti-American" complaints. That does simply not work, it's a waste of time.
    Last edited by Fuchs; 06-12-2008 at 09:13 PM.