I'm not sure that it would be fair to judge any incoming administration because of its desire to put together its own cabinet. There are plenty of qualified candidates for defense secretary, and while Gates has done a fine job (especially in relation to Rumsfeld), it seems that this thread is just setting up for a problem that simply does not need to exist. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any cases in recent history where a SecDef has been retained from the previous administration, and that has never been a basis for criticism.

Furthermore, I would suggest that if Obama wins the election, it would in large part be based on the desire for change, in which case it would not make any sense for a member of the Bush administration's cabinet to be retained, skills notwithstanding. Perhaps a bit irrational, but the electorate ought to be respected. And even if McCain's the winner, he too may desire to have his own people. It's just the way these things work.

Bottom line, I don't see what is served by creating a problem out of this issue by setting up a desire that is very likely not to be fulfilled.

Regards,
Jill