Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
But you can't blame us if occasionally we actually hope to see our leaders actually as concerned as we are about having the job done right rather than in their own image.
But don't you see that such a narrow requirement is just setting yourself up for disappointment needlessly? And again, who's to say Gates would want to work for Obama, if he wins.

How about this: wait to see who gets tapped for the job, and if the choice sucks mightily, I'll join the chorus of critics. I think I've pretty much established my street cred as a loudmouth. And believe me, I've been tame here.

Theres probably a reason that we don't get a vote on filling some jobs. But it might be nice to actually have some say in what right looks like.
The point is, you vote for the President/VP, and in that choice, you are relying upon that person's judgment to select the cabinet. That is the say you have. But at the end of the day, the idea is that the President needs to be able to select the people upon whom he'll have to rely and work with, and craft the personality of the cabinet that will suit his executive style. After all, you want the President to be successful.

It would be interesting if candidates for President were required to put together the slate for their cabinet prior to the election -- say, by a month before the election.

Cheers,
Jill