Thread: Army Imitates Apple (Computer Company) To Draw New Recruits

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Text messaging is way more than one-to-one communication. It can be used to update status on a variety of social networking platforms. Take notes. Contact multiple people at the same time. Social networking. Social enhancement. Information retrieval. Information management. All through the SMS and more. Heck you can get the word of the day sent from the SAT/GMAT/GRE people.
    Yes, text messaging has many wonderful applications, but too often it is used inefficiently and inappropriately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Adam,

The detractors against recruiting will be there and be critical no matter what the services do. I don't think the military and particularly the Army can afford to let these critics dictate where and how they recruit. Most of them are far out of the mainstream anyway and IMO a big anti-recruiting protest at a Mall would probably help the Army's image more than hurt it. That Berkely protest hasn't exactly gone well for example.
    I agree, it is unfortunate that the Army is in such a bad spot. I'm just concerned that the PR guys haven't inoculated the public enough about this stuff in order to prevent a backlash if some newsgroup decides to make a big deal out of this at some point. Plus, I'm concerned that this type of thing might be a little too attractive in some respects. I know that I am probably overly concerned, but unlike you I have no experiences with this on the inside. I am not able to gauge how much faith I should place in the systems ability to weed out problems and retrain those who lack the proper frame of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I was wondering that myself. Knowing what I was like, I'm not looking forward to my kids becoming teenagers. Maybe I should start saving for boarding school!
    I think the trick is to completely skip the teen years. LOL!

Adam L
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 06-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.