slap wrote:

Norfolk, don't worry to much Uncle Bob (SEDEF Robert Gates) was a Missile man when he was in the Air Force so he understands what is going on.
Verily, Uncle Bob must be the most popp-yue-larr man on every ACC base these days.

Air power is guided missiles!!! launched from airframes (any will do) until we get something better. With that in mind it is a bad move to put alot of money in Super Dupper Airframes. Like I have said many times before all you need is a platform to launch a missile. Only the warhead needs to get to the target not the entire airframe
I am reliably informed that pilots exhibit a rather strong aversion towards that last bit...

If I was head of the U.S.A.F., I'd much less care about the F-22 than about new, low munition cost (lower than a Stinger shot) battlefield air defenses.
Indeed Sven; sadly though, you're not head of the USAF, and your Luftwaffe roots might just serve as the spark for a little nostalgia in certain quarters about the way it was back in the day when the USAAF actually had to face a more or less peer competitor. As you and Wayne point out, the Air Force has allowed tech to more or less eclipse leadership and tactics.

Having been bombed and strafed, I'm all for air superiority -- easier to keep your coffee hot...
Ken! Your Toad origins are showing here! (there's already far too many of them here as it is, and I just don't have enough mix for enough Molotovs to, uh, handle them all...)