And therein lies the difference - the US may be having some of the same problems, but - difficult though it may be - there is at least a good amount of political support for spending the money needed to try to ease the situation.

I know the student population at a university in any country isn't the best polling group, but based on the people I met and talked to, I can't imagine the Government (frankly, Labour or Tory) putting in the money and effort to ease this situation.

Do you think these reports will put any pressure on to accelerate the winding down of the Basra commitment?

Finally, the ex-SAS commander's case also vividly illustrates the difference between political and popular climate and perception of the military between our countries. For all people here have (rightly, most of the time) pointed out the political brouhahas over body armor, HMMWVs, and the like; the fact is that if, say, Dell Dailey or some other USSOCOM official resigned over the poor condition of US equipment, the media and political storm would be fast and furious.

You have to take the bad along with the good when it comes to flawed systems, I guess. . .

Regards,

Matt