Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
This is the least important, but I do wonder how it will play out -- what becomes of a treat, of a morale booster, if it becomes the norm? I AM NOT MAKING A COMPARISON, but this is the problem with spoiled children. Can we afford hyper-inflation of expectations?
That could be a question not only about food, but just about anything in this war...
- Inflated awards (Bronze Stars for everyone!)
- Cushy accomodations (air conditioned huts with actual beds and mattresses)
- Outlandish amenities (PX, restaurants, movie theaters, KBR DFAC with Baskin Robbins sundaes made to order, etc)
- Misusing the supply system to order "nice to haves" rather than necessities (take a look at what you can order in a GSA catalog; it's insane, but many units order the stuff)
- Misappropriation (building bus stops, party patios, and saloons have become the standard uses for lumber in Iraq - lumber that we purchase and ship there at a heavy premium)
- Umpteen gazillion other examples

I just figured I'd toss that out there, in case you're looking for more research material. There is a vast, fruitful plain of fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement deserving attention.

Back to the original thread, I still say that the solution is not to revamp the logistics system that delivers food. The solution is to reinvent MREs, or MRE-like meals, that are designed for long-term consumption. The delivery of MREs is highly efficient for the logistician and makes life very simple for the company level folks.