Thread: Russia Joins the War in Afghanistan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Sense we dont need any sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Granite_State View Post
    Without getting into the M4/M16 discussion, doesn't it make more sense to arm the ANA with AK-47s anyway, due to the minimal maintenance and work the weapon requires? I always thought that was the plan anyway.
    G_S We are doing alot to improve the capacity and capabilities of the ANA, fielding a new primary weapon system IMO is overloading the cart. Add the state of Afghanistan's finances, plus (this is a wild guess but) there is probably half a billion AK-47 rounds in this country. Now we have not only given the weapon system, but the cleaning kits, ammunition, the time used to train them, also that is a pretty insightful comment about weapon maintenance. I am not witnessing a military culture that prides itself on a clean weapon, not to mention the terrain and conditions dont help much. I read some interesting things about the fielding of the M16 in Vietnam, although Fairchild and Armalite had billed the model 16 as low/no maintenance, it only took about three years without a plan for weapons maintenance before a lot of rifles really went #### up. (even after they had went back to the dupont IMR powder) I would also submit that the Russians did more to sell the DRAA on all things great and Kalshnikov. I have not really seen us/U.S. do any kind of information campaign on what the M16 family of rifles does better than the AK, (light weight, tighter MOA, etc) at the individual Soldier level.
    Last edited by Anthony Hoh; 06-27-2008 at 04:13 AM. Reason: add stuff