Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
No, the Tigers are just a standard negative example for use on people who prefer effectiveness over efficiency.
Since it wasn't fully effective, it was obviously inefficient as well...
To have intelligence and other support personnel at all combat companies is fine as long as it can be afforded, but a terrible idea if this needs to be bought with inefficient cuts elsewhere.
METT-TC applies. Always. Currently it is affordable, it is effective and it is certainly not a permanent, embed it in the TOE thing -- and I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting that. No need for it in full scale conventional combat for example.
Even if the army can afford it - can the nation afford to have an army with such behavioral patterns?
It has for the past 233 plus years (some of our habits pre-date the departure of the British). Whether that will be true in the future remains to be seen though I suspect your children's children will be the ones who see it, not you or I.
Or maybe the state's going broke meanwhile, and the nation has a balance deficit larger than its defence spending because military macro-economic consumption replaced much macro-economic investment?
Perhaps or maybe we've just outsmarted ourselves again. We do that frequently...
But efficient force structure is already off topic, far away from DO.(Actually it isn't, but it is off topic like we discuss it.)
Not necessarily...