Quote Originally Posted by CaptCav_CoVan View Post
Marc:
I have downloaded and read the same article. I think this is an academic frosting as a solution.
Honestly, I was really and truly mad after reading that article. Outside of the fact that, IMHO, it just won't work, it also breaches every code of academic ethics (we can always argue later whether or not that is an oxymoron ) and, while it may sell in Washington, it will just make matters much worse on the political home front.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes I just feel like performing some radical surgery on some people to remove unused portions of their anatomy - in this case, their brains! (Sheesh, I really am steamed about this! Time to chill)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCav_CoVan View Post
Perhaps we should adapt some of the tactics of the Frech, well dpocumented in in Dave Galula's "Pacification in Algeria: 1956 to 1958" , which can be downloaded from the RAND website and other lessons of Vietnam cirula 1951. The Frech put French officers and NCO in charge of Vietnamese units, but unfortuately did not carry through with succession planning. As a result, there were few capable Vietnamese officers when the French left. If you would like first-hand description of experiences of those of us who were COVANs in Vietnam, take a look at “Communion in Conflict: The Marine Advisor Vietnam 1954-1973” (Fairfax, VA: USMC Advisor Publications, 2006) Volume III by Thomas D. Affourit, especially the narrative by Colonel Croizant, the first Marine advisor. This harks back to the constabulary efforts in Nicaragua, Cuba , and the Banana Wars. It may be worth a look...
I'll try and track down a copy and read it.

Steve, you raise a really good point about whether or not people would like to be reffered to as "Human Terrain". I would seriously doubt it . And when you say

Two fuzzy civilian types and mid-grade officers or enlisted led by a major or LtCol from any available branch? May not go over well with the more enthused combat arms types.
I think you are right on the money. Let's face it - most of us academic types (Selil obviously excepted) just don't have the training and, frequently, the mind-set to handle combat situations. Hey, our idea of an intense firefight is a cocktail party at the faculty club. Man, they are rough

Marc