Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
I can’t imagine that the population of social scientists has suddenly increased substantially within academia. Considering the number of individuals choosing the hard road of social science, those with an interest to work within DOD, those who won’t be considered foreign nationals and thus not suitable, those who speak the language fluently, and the number who “can” work with DOD all three that are left are going to be busy working on other projects.
Of course, the concept of "foreign national" does create some interesting problems in a coalition, doesn't it? So, would that mean that I, as a Canadian, would be considered on in Iraq, but not Afghanistan?

I’m imagining a faculty member explaining to the human studies board that his current research/activity is in the employ of the department of defense providing observational and strategic analysis, and tactical information, for the subjugation and manipulation of an indigent foreign population.
Especially since "secret research" is specifically prohibited by the American Anthropology Association's code of ethics. So, hmm, lets see .... Okay, I've got the sales pitch right now "Can't find a job in the Academy? No problems! Join HTT and you will NEVER work in academia again! (some exceptions apply, contact your local recruiter for further information)"

Are there are a lot of anthropologists working with GIS?
Nope. There are some, mainly in urban anthropology, and a fair number of archaeologists who use GIS, but not many Cultural Anthropologists. Too much like math for most of us <shudder>. We tend to prefer a more "traditional", hermeneutics-based approach which allows us to discover all of the multifold ways in which the poor oppressed people we are studying have been systematically destroyed by Capitalist, Imperialist, neo-Colonial state actors and their armoured myrmidons for the advantage of the sinister and heartless multi-national corporations (Okay, so my tounge is frimly planted in my cheek).

Am I wrong in thinking that these are going to be forward deployed individuals? The people filling these billets are going to be forward of the line of departure, and in fact the “focus groups” held by the academic will be direct parts of enculturation and in contact with the population and likely in the environment? If this is the case how is a non-uniformed individual deriving intelligence within a combat zone being viewed by the Geneva Convention?
That's a good point. I must admit, the temptation to suggest a commission to Major for PhDs, along with the concommitant question of what they would be (a MAJOR pain the the ____) is great, but I will restrain myself.

In asymmetrical combat environments we already see a significant issue with civilian employees and dealing with the fall out of these non-combatants (who aid and supply the military) getting snatched. How many grey beard pacifist professors getting snatched will it take before the effort of protection overwhelms the value of the intelligence gathering and dissemination?
Not too many! We already have that as something of a problem in some areas of the world with archaeologists and anthropologists being shot - and they weren't even working as spies or analysts then. Even someone in good shape without proper training would be a liability.

Marc