I have two nephews and know the son of a friend with journalism degrees; two of the three are working in print (the other is a salesman). All are fairly decent kids -- but their lack of knowledge of how their government works at all levels is scary. Regrettably, none of the three will ever win a prize for drive or a work ethic...

I did base my broad stereotype on TV based on anecdotal evidence that many of the budding reporters tend to have a major in the field. However, I didn't clarify that. That and the propensity in that medium to stick a mike in the face of "Joe Smith - Witness" and ask inane questions gives me a probably jaundiced view.

Given your experience, I do have a question. I can understand the TV folks concentration on the here and now and on so-called celebrities; the Entertainment industry likes the exposure. However, the broadsheets when I was younger seemed more serious, tended to put more depth in stories and articles and appeared less likely to push the latest fad or scandal. My impression is that has changed. You may or may not agree; if you do, I have no real idea why that would be so other than the TV folks are driving the news effort by accident or by design. any thoughts?