Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
I assume you are talking about students and faculty in Canada. The US does not have an Official Secrets Act that would permit the kind of censorship you are talking about. If you are, by chance, talking about US cases, I would be very interested in knowing how the USG got hold of non-government research before it was published (ie all over the internet) in time to shut it down.
Yes, the instances I'm thinking of were in Canada. The case of the student paper was a real outlier as well - she worked in a classified area, but used unclassified material and basic theoretical works to develop models that were then classified (and I can't give any more details ).

In the vast, 99.99999% of cases, there is no classification even when policy critical material is published. I am also aware of a very few cases of" voluntary classification", for want of a better term, where a paper is submitted to an organization rather than for publication due to some security consideration - red team scenario planning in all the cases I'm aware of.

Marc