Thread: Social Scientists Work Being Involuntarily Classified

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Cav Guy, I'm not entirely sure what NIPR net is. I understand the SIPRnet is secure. But let me talk about something really unclas and unofficial - this site and my email (ou.edu). Generally, if I don't want something spread widely, I use my email account. It is relatively secure - not completely - but relatively so. If I want to discuss it more widely, I would do so here - knowing that I risk some bad guys having access but recognizing that not everybody monitors this site. If I want to carry on a discussion here more privately I go PM. There is also and always snail mail and the telephone. Bottom line, I think, is the uncommon qualities of common sense and good judgment.
    The problem is the control over the forward button on other people's computers.

NIPR is the unclassified military commercial internet backbone. It is the internet connection everyone has in DoD for computer use. It is not really restricted in any way than it is maintained through DoD gateways/routers rather than an ISP's.

One thing I know the SWJEDs and others deal with is documents not labeled with a handling restriction. I see a lot of good AAR's from the field, with great tips for the troops. In them are tactics, techniques, and procedures that are not classified, but sensitive. I wouldn't want AQIZ to know about how company commanders are placing the .50 cal in their defensive perimeters in Afghanistan. However, that is not to the level of SECRET information, IMO. (actual base/location of data would be, but TTP is not generally) If it gets classifed secret, or confidential, I just reduced the number of people with access (not clearance, there is a difference) to see it by 99%. So these day's get gets labled UNCLASS/FOUO REL (release) NATO, etc. The understood instruction is "only distribute to those with official need, but unclassified". The second issue is unclassified assessments of operations/performance. Without a handling restriction, every email you send may wind up on the Washington Post, taken out of context, which reduces the community's willingness to share information.

In the pre-internet age this was done through branch mags and a multitude of pamphlets. The enemy had limited access to them just due to physical separation and the costs to reprodouce, and then only after some time. Today these documents spread instantly.

I don't know what the answer is, I just know that whether intended or not UNCLASS/FOUO has come to be the label that people attach to documents that are unclassified that we would prefer to stay within DoD, or at least allied, circles. Moving everything to SIPR isn't the answer, because of limited stations/access, and inablity to share SIPR with coalition partners.

If it's not the right answer, we need to develop something to replace its use. We all know FOUO may leak out, but at least most responsible people (like the SWJED editors) won't forward FOUO stuff outside the military. Just bad OPSEC, and bad business.
    Last edited by Cavguy; 07-09-2008 at 02:36 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?