Thread: Combat Outpost Penetrated in Afghanistan, 9 dead

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25663321/

No one else seems to have brought this up yet.
    I have read a number of accounts of what happened. All open source and accounts vary wildly.

It seems the only thing they have in common was a temporary outpost was overun resulting in 9 US dead and 15 wounded. Some say 4 ANA were wounded as well. Reports of militant casualties are from 15 to 100+. They, for the most part, are also reporting that ISAF patrols will continue in the area. Some are reporting that the militants held the outpost. Some reports are stating that they have moved on.

The reported size of militant force has been placed at 200+ vs 45 US and 25 ANA. Even with those parameters the 101st did a good accounting for themselves and gave them hell.

Some reports says 'Taliban' some say insurgents some say enemy combatants. Truth is it was probably a breif joining of various groups (my theory). This outpost could very well have been seen as a threat to keeping the border open which is something the various criminal elements, smugglers (gems, wood, drugs, humans), Taliban and militants want in common.

Good old fog of water that is being stirred up by reporters who don't know jack from shinola.

To me it is looking more and more like a joint raid against an outpost that could have had a detrimental effect for various counter government groups.

My concern is 1) where was the air support during the attack? 2) if the militants did take the outpost after the US pulled it's soldiers then why wasn't it hit by artillery or air power 3)

Final thought: One thing that is clear is that the perpetrators of the attack need to be tracked down swiflty and hit hard by boots on the ground and not by air power. Don't let this incident become a precident or rally cry.
    Last edited by Darksaga; 07-17-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Edit to add final thought