Quote Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
Richard Lowry posted some criticism of the episode on OPFOR that, while I agree with on a factual basis, I think misses that the show wanted to portray the "grunt's eye" view of the war. Yes, the show has many factual inconsistencies about Nasiriyah, but I think it accurately portrays what the Marines of 1st Recon Bn believed about the battle at the time depicted in the show.
Precisely. One needs to remember that "Generation Kill" is not a documentary. It's not fiction, either, but it is a boots-on-the-ground, pointy end of the spear perspective on real events through the eyes of men, including their officers, who didn't have the luxury of seeing the broader operational picture. I think the "artistic license" that some people might accuse the series of having is little more than the filmmakers' subtle portrayal of that phenomenon known most commonly as the fog of war. Apparently some historians might not pick up on this immediately, but veterans of Nasiriyah like VMI_Marine and MikeF do.

Other things like the streets being too narrow are probably the unintended consequences of the filming locations. With the level of realism that the show has displayed so far, I don't think that's something the filmmakers would knowingly distort unless they simply couldn't find another place with streets similar to those in Nasiriyah.