Thread: Rifle squad composition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've got a question.
    This "patrol" thing as mentioned all the time by U.S. and Commonwealth people doesn't fit into well to what Germany armies did. Patrols of such sizes (squad to platoon) were usually mounted or patrolling along the lines the gaps between Eastern Front strongpoints (usually along otherwise empty trenches or channels).

"We" apply some different patrols for base security around Kunduz, but I don't know the size. Maybe they use squads now. There are certainly not enough men in the base for proper patrolling in more than squad strength. Kundus is unique because the terrain offers no opportunity for stealth unless you move at night and hide at day on high ground. But afaik stealth is not desired in Kunduz anyway because the patrols shall and do deter the Taleban from using 107mm rockets.

The most common battlefield scouting mission in German armies was a stealth-oriented 2-3 men team that infiltrates a short distance (2 km for example) and reports back (or, if it just scouts without infiltration it was often a lieutenant with one or two soldiers).

Platoon-sized dismounted ops were either "Stoßtrupp" actions; strictly offensive, to take out a single position or to take prisoners or they were movement to contact.

I'm a bit confused about this focus on patrolling in U.S. and UK. Maybe it's a consequence of the many LIC in the past two generations?

------

About the M240; it may suffice, but it's much heavier than necessary.
    Even the Russian PKM and its decendant Pecheneg is better in some regards.
    I would recommend the SS-77 from South Africa for the U.S.Army: http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg13-e.htm
    2+ kg saved without a loss of capability and the tactical employment would be the same (unlike with the MG3 which is different because of its high ROF, but also lighter than M240).
    Last edited by Fuchs; 07-25-2008 at 04:22 PM.