SMALL WARS COUNCIL
Go Back   Small Wars Council > Small Wars Participants & Stakeholders > Adversary / Threat

Adversary / Threat One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Talk about (or with?) them.

Old 07-28-2008   #1
Abu Suleyman
Council Member

Default The Future of the Jihad

I know that there have been MEMRI Posts and articles about the various 'Hamas Mickey Mouse' television shows before. I just watched one that really had me divided, but I think that is the whole point.

On the one hand, I think that perhaps we can find some common ground. After all, I think in the west we all agree that stealing is wrong, and even toward the end Assud appeals for mercy, which is also a common value.

On the other had, that children are demanding the literal enforcement of some of the harshest aspectes of Shari'a law is chilling. However, and this is probably as much an artifact of MEMRI's selective editing, it seems that the children are reluctanct to carry out the sentence of chopping off a rabbits hand. It is hard to tell because the clip is cut off.

This raises two questions: First, how do we build from the, admittedly very creepy, positives to try and resolve conflict? And second, what are we doing in our own country to ensure that our values are taught as effeciently?

Just to make this more fun, the two previous incarnations of Assud, (one mouse and one something else I cannot remember) died on screen. The first as a suicide bomber and the second starved from the Israeli blockade. So there is a limit to how much goodwill we can build here as well. It is Hamas after all.