Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
Hello LawVol,

I recently enrolled into the National Security Master program at APU (July 2008), can you provide me with any insight as to pros/cons, preferred instructors, etc?

What is your opinion of the National Security major as a whole so far? I would like to complete the program in one year, is that possible while working full-time?

I'm an Investigator (former Fed), and was thinking of returning to the Fed Gov't in some sort of security-related occupation so I'm hoping this degree might help, plus I'm very interested in the curriculum.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.........
Shammy,

I'm exactly half way through a master's degree in NSS and have had no issues with any of my instructors. That said, Wray Johnson and Steven Greer were particularly instructive in the sense that they offered much substantive criticism and perspective in response to my completed assigments. I felt that they brought much more to the table than simply an academic perspective. You can review their biographies to see why.

I am satisfied with AMU thus far because it has met my objectives. I was looking for something more practical than theoretical and I think this fits the bill. My field is the law so my plan was not to use this degree toward some new profession but rather to enhance my own. I simply wanted a course of instruction that provided me with a big picture view of national security so I could better understand current events and the like.

Completing the program within a year may be a little difficult unless you can pursue it full time. Each of my classes have been fairly labor intensive. There has been quite a bit of reading (almost on par with law school as far as volume goes) and most assignments involve writing. I have taken only one class at a time since I've been enrolled. I am currently on program hold while I pursue an in residence LL.M program over the next year so I won't be able to update you with regard to other professors.

Overall, I'm happy with AMU given my goals. However, if I was entering (or seeking to enhance) a new career I'd probably look to a more traditional school. Good luck.