I started off with a much longer reply, but the system timed out on my login...

1. Truth in lending: I am black Marine Corps Infantry officer
2. I was an enlisted infantryman before I commisioned, serving just under 3 years as such.
3. I had my BA degree before I enlisted, and would have probably been happy serving on the E-side. Commissioning was an interest, but not an all-or-nothing desire.

As a result, younger African-American soldiers have few mentors of their own race. And as the overall percentage of blacks in the service falls, particularly in combat careers that lead to top posts, the situation seems unlikely to change.
This statement perpetuates a perception that we are stuck on handouts. How about getting a mentor who knows how to lead, to serve as a mentor? The color of that leader's skin is irrelevant...the leadership ability is not.

I'm also not so sure that under-representation in the officer ranks is hurting us. I'm more concerned about the SNCO ranks, but I don't see Blacks and Hispanics having too many problems rising to E-8/E-9 positions within both the combat arms and support elements. The better question is why are they taking hold and growing, while the officer ranks have the perceived glass ceiling.

I personally don't think it's the least bit important.