Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
The thing to remember is that you aren't required to trip out the B uniform as Mr. Paratrooper has done, just as you could do that with the current green shirt.
That's a good point. The NCO pictured is probably sporting all of those ribbons, badges, et cetera, so as to demonstrate how various accouterment are properly displayed. That said, I also remember the mercifully few occasions when class A or blues were required and we were expected to wear every single item that we were authorized. I learned this when I caught some heat from a commander who noticed that I had all of the standard fare (GWOT, NDSM, ASM, etc), but no medals on my uniform (AAM, ARCOM, BSM, etc) and he knew that I had been awarded them. I pointed out that I never put them on my ORB and didn't particularly care about them. He seemed to be personally offended at this and ordered me to put the awards on my ORB and on my uniform and redo my DA photo. (Background: I'm not a big fan of officers getting medals unless there is an objective standard for them - I know some officers who are Silver Star awardees who didn't even deserve BSMs, but some E-4's for whom the opposite is true). I've seen some officers and senior NCOs go so far as to dictate which combat patch will be worn - an unnecessary expense and hassle for the E-4 who falls under his arbitrary rule and must get his uniform altered when he is already within regulation.

There are definitely some good aspects of the change (fewer uniforms, more emphasis upon regimental affiliation and combat service), but the goofy look really makes me wonder how this reflects upon the Army in the eyes of the nation that it serves, especially at a time when confidence in the Army is so critical. The flash and pizzaz of the vivid blue and bright white detract from what civilians generally associate with competency and experience: ribbons and badges placed upon a subdued colored uniform that reflects the calm and firm bearing of an officer. This uniform is all flash, causing the abundance of ribbons and badges to just blend in with the rest of the flashiness and make the individual wearing it look like the typical Wal-Mart greeter who sports a vest full of buttons and a goofy hat.

Fortunately, the ACU remains the uniform that most Soldiers will wear most of the time, so maybe it's not a big deal.