Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Just doing some probing actions to explore my actions. Presently, my two primary considerations are: (1) I am not sure of my eligibility for traditional schools. I graduated with a 2.95 GPA (I wasted my first two years ) and a GRE common score of 1150 (630/530) and written score of 6. (2) My active duty service obligation is only three years. Based on those facts, but not knowing what education benefits are available to me presently, my assessment is that I should complete a graduate program as soon as possible. Of course, active duty limits my options in which programs I can participate.
<putting mentor hat on>

Here's what my experience tells me about the above.

I was a 2.6 GPA undergrad who currently is maintaining a 4.0 in Graduate school (Kansas State) . Serving in the military comps for a lot with admissions officers, and your GRE scores are reasonably strong.

Would argue against starting grad school. Focus on being a good LT and learning your job. When you deploy to GWOT you won't likely have time for grad school anyway. The other risk is that you get busy enough in grad school you neglect your LT duties, which will negatively impact your evals, which can affect your future employment plans.

I'm very much ashamed of my situation because I was not initially selected for active duty during ascensions.
Okay, beginning the moment you pin on your gold bar, not one thing you did pre-commissioning matters to the people serving around you. None. nada. Distinguished Mil Grad? Doesn't matter. 2.2 GPA? Doesn't matter. 4.0 GPA? Doesn't matter. (* to the Army ) What matters is your performance.

The reality is also 99.9% of your year group, regardless of commissioning source, will make CPT in the current environment, and about the same to MAJ at current rates. Over-commissioning may reduce this, but trust me, you have to work at it to be in the bottom 10%. You have every opportunity if you want to stay active for a career. In three years the Army will be begging/bribing you to stay on. Your current accession status will not prevent you from staying on. You don't HAVE to go to the NG. If that's what you want, it's a great route.

I'm entering AD now through a (new?) program designed (specifically?) for new 2LTs not originally selected for it. After three years, I'll (likely) return to the NG to complete the remainder of my contract. My education assessment is based on the assumption that I will return and remain with the NG and will thus be in the need of some kind of employment. It's also as much a pride thing as it is a practical thing.
If your intent is to get out after 3 years, the new GI bill applies to officers as well. (read on it). What many of my peers did is save money while deployed, get out, and go to grad school full time living off of savings. If you stay in, the Army will pay for grad school, and you will be competitive for the full-time programs.

If you do decide to get out, headhunters (Orion, Cameron Brooks, Lucas Group, GE, etc.) will be beating down your door to give you a job, with or without a master's. Seriously, you will get letters from them each week. Many companies they recruit for will pay for you to go to grad school. Former officers are very marketable.

For consideration, depending on what you want to do an AMU degree probably won't be as marketable in the civilian world outside of the security field.

I would hold off on rushing to grad school and make the most of your LT time. You will have plenty of options to get further educated. Platoon Leader and Company Command are the most rewarding jobs in the army. Don't be worried about your accessions, if you do well on active duty you will be rewarded.

Finally, don't do anything that "boxes you in" regarding options, as mentioned above. Sit down with an Army Education Counselor and your commander and make sure you have all the facts before you commit.

Feel free to PM if you want more.