Wilf, I stayed up late last night and I found it I also reread the article that Cavguy posted, by then it was bed time. I will try and post the 5 rings later but I had problems doing this last time. Either way I will email it to you if all else fails. But first I will have to respond to all this in sections and some separate posts.

Cavguy, I need to set some background on the article that has a few facts the author either left out or was unaware of. You will read him refer to the Air Campaign Planning process. There was an actual handbook published to do this which was on the INTERNET for a long time but for some reason it was removed, I have a hard copy and so does the Air War College in their library.

First there are 5 steps in the process!!! You don't get to the rings until number 3.
Here are the 5 steps :
1-Operational Environment Research
2-Objective(s) determination
3-COG(s) determination (the rings )
4-COA/Campaign development (parallel attack)
5-Operational plan/order issued

Much of what the author criticize as a lack of understanding of the social processes of war would take place in step one!!! If you can get the handbook the list of experts recommended is comprehensive.

His second argument that it only applies to interstate warfare is again incorrect. Warden showed how to apply his theory to an international drug organization in several of the articles the author sites as references. For some reason the author failed to point this out You must understand the the time frame 1995, this was a radical concept then and it was pre 911 so terrorist groups did not have the spotlight they do today.

Three, the parallel attack or what came to be known as TVA, the time value of action or really recently here at SWC Strategic Compression. Warden has consistently said and written the most important thing to do is to attack in parallel across the rings, not just leadership(again Warden points this out in his articles but this author fails to point them out). The attack may be lethal or non-lethal, it could be a bomb or dropping medical supples, or a combination of both. It depends on the mission.

Bill Moore haven't forgot you but need more coffe