Quote Originally Posted by Germ View Post
I'm with the many above in applauding Eden's post. I heard General Shinseki speak several years ago. He commented that he loved being Chief of Staff but would rather be Commandant of the Marine Corps. He further explained that he envied the Commandant, who did not have to contend with several corps, each with its own subculture and rice bowl. He found it exceedingly difficult to steer the institution known as the Army, where his counterpart in the Corps had no such trouble.

The crux of the problem lies in part in 120mm's observation above, but also in the very fact that soldiers look over a corps fence at each other in the first place. That identity piece, the wholeness of the army as a single culture, that is one heck of a difficult thing to wrestle.

Given the many influences towards different points of view in the army's diverse corps and MOSs, how does the Army best maintain and strengthen what it has of a single culture?
I heard General Shinseki speak several years ago.

I could care less about this boob. This thread is on the improper use of the word "warrior" yet this man tries to instill esprit de corp by issuing "new" head gear to the Army, The Black Beret which also use to stand for something. The Marines would not have such.

The other problem is the Political Correctness that has gripped this country. God help us.