Quote Originally Posted by Van
As I said, . Not saying your recommendations are not good, but not the first books I'd hand to a junior enlisted, an NCO coming from a non-intel MOS, or a 2nd Lieutenant.
Clark's book is definitely what I'd hand to a cherry analyst for a read. As is Heuer's. Krizan's is at a more basic level and is geared for non-intel folks.

Expanding on target audience, there is also a narrow shelf of required reading depending upon whether the new guy is assigned to a tactical or strategic unit, and even narrower depending upon unit mission. Much also depends on the level of greenness of the new guy - not all newly minted MI guys (enlisted or officer) are equally ignorant - and for retread NCOs, what field they are coming from can drive selection of professional reading.

Given all that, I agree that the latter two books mentioned first post are better read once one has some experience to lend necessary context to the material. But I could also throw out a qualifier; I've had new guys who were civilian history buffs prior to putting on the uniform who would eat up either one of those books and truly enjoy the insights into events in the context of their newly chosen field.

In any case, I wasn't throwing out a new list - nor am I now - simply stating with examples that there is plenty of good professional reading in the intelligence field available for less than $100 a copy.