Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
I don't know whether it is better testing methods that is leading to increased diagnoses of asthma, but it was a frequent entry on applicants' medical histories when I was in recruiting (2000-2002).
Which is ironic, because "asthma" in younger people is one of the most misdiagnosed maladies today (according to my children's doctor [an allergist, obtw.]).

Most often, it is a sensitivity or allergy to something, which children often grow out of. It's really frustrating to lose otherwise exceptional applicants to stuff like this. Apparently, the military medical profession has this freakish worst case scenario (which will never, ever happen, obtw) where "but what happens if the soldier gets an asthma attack when they're trying to carry their buddy 20 miles out of harms way, and the US Army has uninvented Medevac, or even ambulances?"

I know several soldiers, including myself, who have served 20+ years with disqualifying conditions, to include in combat, that just don't matter, in a "real" combat situation, versus some MSC doc's fantasy scenario.

Frankly, the medical quals are more or less irrelevant. (Short of terminal cancer).