Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
and I'd add that mental toughness and /or being mildly sociopathic helps as much or more...
Mental flexibility may be more accurate. PTSD appears to be a processing memory problem more then anything else at this point in time. There were a few references to the SF community and PTSD on this thread, however keep in mind that an SF trooper that is diagnosed w/ PTSD would lose his Top Secret clearance, and thus no longer be an SF trooper. This combined with the fantastic team support that SF enjoys likely has more to do with the lower SF PTSD rates then anything else. When question 21 is removed, I will be curious to see if SF reported PTSD rates go up. Army battlemind training is a fantastic tool btw, speaking of preventative measures. The military is making great strides and deserves recognition for there role in improving the care for everyone w/ PTSD. Army behavioral Health is tops in this field, better then the VA.
Reed
P.S. Adam L.'s comments on PTSD being a cluster of symptoms and that understanding of the root cause is scarce is true. Unfortunately the entire DSM-IV operates the exact same way. So singling out PTSD for this is a little irrational. Reminds me of continued attempts to peg ADD on bad parenting. PTSD exists and now we need to discover the root causes to the best of our ability.