Thread: Mechanization hurts COIN forces

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by 82redleg View Post
    Armored infantry's "primary mission is to support the advance of the tank." He concluded that the M2 Bradley equipped mechanized infantry (as then organized in the US Army) met this requirement well.
    That is doctrinally incorrect and illogical. Infantry are that component of the combined arms team that fights on foot. Protecting armour is not, and never should be their "primary mission."

Light infantry is "specialized for rapid air transportability, clandestine insertion, very rugged terrain, night operations, infiltrations, raids, and ambushes."
    These are all things that any good infantry formation should be able to achieve. They are all issues merely associated with training, equipment and organisation. Again, fighting on foot is the key issue

Regular infantry, the force in between these forces, supporting tanks at the operational level, but supported by tanks at the tactical level.
    I am fairly astounded by these pronouncements. Infantry are the most numerous, and most flexible element of the combined arms team. I am very much of the view that everyone exists to support the infantry as, only the infantry can deliver military capability in a spectrum of violence and across almost all terrain.

I agree with HDV that there may be three types, in some minds. However for that construct to be valid we have to do some pretty poor reasoning and this is not what the reality should reflect.
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 09-09-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition