In my opinion, it's fairly pointless to talk about legal systems, traditions and such. They don't really matter in Ukraine. Ukraine uses the old Soviet law, which was basically designed to be contradictory and opaque so that the people with the power could protect their own interests and punish others. That's the tradition Ukraine inherited and works with today. It's presented to the world as if there's rule of law, but behind the scenes, it's anything but.

Each party will try to defend themselves or attack the other using whatever tactics they can and will wrap it up with a legal justification. Last time a constitutional change was put forward, it was debated in the Constitutional Commission (forgot exact name) and there was a behind the scense free for all buying or coercing of votes. It will be the same this time.

I agree with Bandow that the USG does not understand politics and reality in Ukraine very well, should not act hastily (for sure) but I don't think the USG can afford to sit on the sidelines. Russia isn't, that's for sure. USG, with European partners, needs to continue to push reform. I think many people understand that Russia, despite it's current economic strength and show of military force, is buried in the past and that the future for Ukraine lies in the West. In terms of safety and short term interests (and maximizing individual benefit as a result), the focus is on Russia, however. It's a long term fight.