It is not that difficult to simulate a COIN/peace operations setting in a human-moderated role-playing game, given the flexibility and large number of variables that an RPG allows one to include. (I'm more dubious about electronic ones at present, since player options are starkly limited and there is to much temptation to metagame the AI system.) You can also fairly easily scale for the scope of the exercise, number of participants, presumed level of experience. As I've posted in other threads, I've run them for both large numbers (120) of students and smaller numbers (30) of senior officials/negotiators/technical experts. The real challenge is preparing an adequate amount of appropriate background information and briefing notes, and making sure that the proper dynamic starts among the players early on.

The World Bank has started used a heavily modified version of UN DPKO's mythical "Carana" setting for training mid-level officials on aid operations in conflict-affected countries. It focuses on determining national policy priorities with a diverse group of stakeholders.

(Very advanced heads up—I'll be in DC at some point this fall giving an in-house talk at the World Bank on the use of simulations in education and capacity-building. PM for details.)