Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
...to compensate for that erosion which is mostly due to urbanization?
I think urbanization and a lack of activity in rural sports is a large factor. Riding your mountain bike on rail right of ways is great exercise but it is not wood craft. You have to break past the forrest edge, get into the critter trails, and seek out your prey. Sorry if "prey" offends anybody, but your intent is to hunt down, and kill something.

A story not to offend or distract from the discussion...

I have twin 8 year old boys. We've been shooting archery since they were a right around 4. For the last few years we would go shoot 3d which is foam animals in a variety of woodland settings. They got pretty good and figuring out kill zones, picking the targets out of the terrain, etc.. But, I didn't realize how well until we were on a long trip.

Driving down the interstate in the morning I pointed out a few deer along the Interstate and said we might see a lot more. The two hyper-kinetic-bouncing-monsters sat totally still for hours watching for, FINDING, and determining distances. I don't think using my laser range finder I could have been any closer than they were getting.

Now when we hike through the wild-life preserve behind our house I have started showing them spore and even tracking critters. I'll likely take them to Texas this winter to hunt white tail and hawgs.

Just like my dad did.