Jedburgh,
Now that I've read Clark, I would not put on a 'short list' (Krizan or Richelson are on the short list). Clark is for someone who has been around a while, or has the time and wherewithal to look up everything that is not explained.

Don't get me wrong, it is worth the effort to read, and mostly I agree with him (my disagreements are mostly based on places where he seems to be having trouble making the jump from 'bureaucrat' to being the analyst he describes). The "Target-centric" concept is a fresh coat of paint on an old idea, and his vision is clearly shaped by his Air Force time, but it is a great book for someone with even a year of experience in analysis.

If you have the time to look up every single reference you don't understand, this book could be a heck of an education. For example, he cites Shannon and The Theory of Information, and Maslow's Hierarchy, but takes some liberties with both. Used as a study guide, by chasing down references like this, it would make for a super education.

Now is Clark would write a 'dummed down' version with politicians as the target audience, that would be excellent.