Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
I think I find myself like Rifleman here, torn somewhat between the German Group organized around a single GPMG, and the USMC Squad organized into three Fire Teams, each based upon an AR/LMG. Used properly, each gets the job done. ]
The 30-man model I use to start discussion is capable of 3 entirely different organisations, using the same number of men, ranks, weapons, sesnors and radios, so you don't have to choose between German or USMC if you train and organised correctly. You can do both.

However, Wilf may well be right that only 2 GPMGs per Platoon might be needed, and each in its own dedicated gun team separate from the rifle teams. The Germans only had rifle grenades and got rid of their light mortar, but Wilf's platoon has 4 modern grenade-launchers as well as a light mortar. I don't know one way or the other, but that, together with the way his platoon functions, may make all the difference necessary.
You are exactly right, that my thinking is far more focussed on HE Projection, rather than just direct fire suppression. The problem with discussing the Platoon structure is that very few folk discuss the how and why, rather than just counting the number of MGs.