Thread: Sisyphus and Counterinsurgency

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Priorities are the issue; hot spots are more important than urban locales.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
    ...In order to do this it would seem we would have to work towards greater development of infrastructure within those regions and thus hopefully bring them to at least more closely reflect the larger urban cities. Along with that comes the need for political and military ties between the parts in order to facilitate greater unity of effort and a stronger overall HN presence throughout the country.
    Note I am not suggesting the cities be ignored, simply that they should not be a priority item. Cities in such nations are, at this stage, primarily a market location (thus the importance of roads -- to both the good and bad guys...), they do not serve as a base for much of anything.
    If this all goes well wouldn't we still come back to the need for more stability in the largest centers since That is where the HN must project its power from...
    True; not more stability, just stability. I question the statement "that's where the host nation must project its power from." I don't think that's necessarily correct -- or desirable.
    Also considering that the more the coalition does the less the ANA is actually doing so that would seem somewhat counter-productive.
    That does not track with what I'm hearing on one level yet I can acknowledge the logic -- and thus we need to be careful not to overdo our effort...
    Would it not be more effective in the end to use coalition forces to assist in securing the urban areas and select outer areas from which the ANA with the capabilities assistance we can offer go out and take the fight to those who oppose them. In the end if AQ and others get to fight us then we easily become the problem if on the other hand we work to make sure they lose to Afghans then the picture might change all together.
    (emphasis added / kw)

I thought that's what we were doing? Though I doubt the picture will change much...
    Last edited by Ken White; 09-22-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Typo