[QUOTE=slapout9;57154]
Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
Sorry for the run of posts - but I think this has huge security ramifications.
QUOTE]

I think you are right about this. Care to be pontificate(learnt me a nu word) on that a bit?
Slap,

Sorry for the delay. Had a paper to finish. A thrilling essay on how "Japanese Piracy" along the coasts of 16th century China was really not Japanese in origin.

Bottom line in short form-

1) Global economic hits almost always cause political instability. The meltdown in China (who owns a lot of our bad paper) has been worse.
2) Budget deficit. The rising costs of this bailout directly affect our ability to continue to spend $12bil/month in Iraq/Afghanistan, and potentially the willingness of the US public to support a half trillion dollar defense budget. Thus, this crisis may force a less aggressive US foreign policy out of necessity
3) Weakening of US economic leverage. Our economic power the "E" in "DIME" is weakened significantly. Issuing an additional $700 billion in debt will continue to lower the dollar's value as a currency. Many more nations are looking at moving to another currency (Euro?) for stability. This has long term effects in reducing global ties to our economy, which may make us less secure. (this is a long term, not tomorrow, problem)