Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
To say the Republicans killed this bill b/c of a speech Pelosi gave opens one of two options:

1) They are spineless morons, allowing momentary politics to waive them over the good of their country and the request of their president.

2) They weren't going to vote for it to begin with, and Pelosi's speech gave them an out that would be useful in an election.

I can't say that Pelosi's speech was well timed or thought out, but is anyone surprised she would attempt to lay blame on the other party - and anyone would change their vote b/c of it?!?!
Last time I checked, the Democratic Party could've passed this bill, even if every Republican voted against it.

Henry Paulson should be fired for political incompetence. His "take it or leave it" presentation of the bail out reeks of the Hillarycare initiative.

The problem isn't that we're in trouble, financially, as much as in the way that it was presented. Fix the healthcare system, great. Fix the financial system, also great. But don't present a fait accompli and then expect the rest of the US to just go along like sheep to be sheared.

The G.W. Bush/Paulson initiative was really, really bad I/O. Give the American people choices, not an ultimatum, and I think that one would be pleasantly surprised by how they respond.

Anyone else wondering why they didn't present three COAs and a prediction of the consequences of each COA?

Frankly, I wonder if the financial wanks have become so afraid of an economic downturn that they'll pimp their wives and sell their kids (actually, our kids and grand-kids) to keep it from happening. And their fear of negative consequences scares me more than my fear of a full-blown depression.