Thread: A suggestion for changing the course of the conflict on the Afghan/Pakistani frontier

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    Not sure the Paki's have the political wherewithall to do that and there are some sticking points
    Thank you very much for your comments!
    And, I apologize for being so tardy with my reply .

I realize that implementation of a project of this kind is anything but simple, the sympathy that all-too-many Pakistanis - including those in the PA and ISI - seem to have for the Islamists - being not the least of those.
    the Karzai gov probably does not have the political backing to support Pak troops on Afghan soil (any more than the Pak gov does to support US in Pak)

However, the idea has a great deal of merit and if it is not being pursued now it should be.
    The following article may indicate that similar conceptions are being considered - and by the Karzai government in particular.
    Afghanistan Calls for Joint Border Patrol with Pakistan.

And, thank you for the complement!

The Paki's have spend a great deal of blood since 9/11 trying to pacify this area, more than America has in Afghanistan by some numbers.

Given their nuclear status, Paki cooperation on dismantling Al-Queda, and the nature of the Paki-Afghani relationship, I would hope that this type of approach has been explored in depth and the current ops are a reflection of the failure of all other options.
    I tend to agree. But I've met with a great deal of skepticism from those who believe that the Pakistani government only acts out of a fear for American military reprisals when it orders action to be taken against the Islamists by the the PA and security forces, and, that there is some significant element of sham to the efforts that the PA and security forces claim to have made (and to be making) in that regards.

I suspect that comments which express perspectives of that kind do little to motivate the Pakistanis towards continued efforts.

Thank you again for your comments,
    and all the best to you and yours!
    Quiet Raven
    BTW: if you or others decide to make further comments on this thread - I will need to go offline early this even and stay off until Saturday night, due my Sabbath observance - Shabbat. I will try and reply to any additional comments at that time.
    Last edited by Quiet Raven; 10-03-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: to make the post more concise