Good article as I would expect from this author.

On his essential points:

A. First, it's essential that every member of the command understand the essentially modest contribution that a headquarters of 1300 people can actually make in Africa, True. the main contribution of that HQs is focus: on the continent and about the continent in Washington DC.

B. Second, do not underestimate the great value of American diversity. While the conditions of the African diasporas to the United States was tragic, the consequences are that Africa is the ancestral home to a huge number of Americans, forging common ties of blood and kin not found with any other major power. Maybe but do not overplay this. Africans see African-Americans as Americans. The continent is not Ireland and the Quiet Man scenario does not play very well. Frankly my African contacts often saw attempts to play this card as pandering.

C. Third, given the scope and diversity of the continent, Africom's activities will necessarily bring the command much closer to U.S. diplomatic missions and the chiefs of missions, the resident U.S. Ambassador.
Absolutely and it is here that Africom can make its greatest contribution with that 1300 person staff--that is to say connecting country team goals and initiatives in a coordinated campaign plan that Africcom can support with money, personnel, and influence. Getting an Ambassador who willing works with his military partners and having a military partner who understands who is charge makes for a wonderful partnership. I enjoyed such a partnership in Rwanda and we did great things as a result.

D. Fourth, the Africom staff, teamed with appropriate Department of Defense officials, should propose and support legislation designed to untangle the present laws and regulations governing military assistance. Absolutely. And the entire security assistance budget needs to be realigned on need, not political influence.

E. Fifth, and along the lines of military assistance, the number of African military officers attending U.S. military schools should be ramped up.
Another big thumbs up. The attendance of African students is a learning experience for the student, the institution, and the other students. I dare say that US officers could stand to learn much from Rwandan officers when it comes to irregular warfare. Shared costs is a great idea; I would take it further. If it is important enough to offer a seat, offer payment for that seat according to needs.

F. Finally, Africom should vigorously resist the well-meaning suggestion, made in some quarters, that special schools or courses should be organized for African officers. Roger that! The very suggestion would be insulting.

On the idea of Africom in the US,
perhaps. The suggested strengths of diversity might play a greater positive role under such a set up.

Tom