Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
In my area we deal with accuracy versus reliability especially with assessments. Lots of pictures of arrows on targets which I really understand.
I think the biggest thing that bothers me is how useful metrics can be used correctly and in context with the purpose for which they are being used.

And how more often than not this does not end up being the case due to a variety of things not the least of which is ignorance of what some are actually trying to use them for.

Accuracy has always seemed rather interesting to me in that we actually tend to believe we are creating an accurate picture or understanding of something yet when it all comes down to ground truth we are suddenly amazed by how little our "accurate" assesments actually got right.

I propose that if whatever one is working with or through is not both
(Reliably Accurate) than the greatest part of what we end up with will continue to be right only about 50 percent of the time.

This is one reason I am a strong supporter of trendal analysis because although it uses most of the same metrics you know before you even start that what you end up will not be answers but rather guidelines/possibilities.

So you always get what you expected No more, No Less