Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/jfkeo/eo/11110.htm

It wasn't the military industrial complex that plotted JFK's assassination, it was the Federal Reserve.

I don't understand our ability to print dollars endlessly without a basis for its worth, which may be why it worth less day by day. I thought it was Nixon who separated the value of the dollar from our nation's stores of gold? I need to brush up on my economic history.

Slapout, who was that Taliban looking guy singing and clapping his hands in that Utube video you posted?
Bill,

Here's an article that will provide some insight into your question - "The Economic Organization of a POW Camp." An updated occurance of this can be found at this link (notice that they can't use any form of paper currency).

Here's a short case study based on Hugh Rockoff's "The Wizard of Oz as a Monetary Allegory" - the paper itself is gated by JSTOR. While many economists now doubt that the Wizard of Oz was written specifically as a monetary allegory, the economic interpretation is still sound.

Both of these should provide the insights you're looking for - i.e., the instability that can follow a strict backing of paper currency by a metal.