Slapout, your comments on the Candy Stripe were incorrect. I came into SF in 79, and we were allowing kids off the street then, but at time there was a push to decrease active duty Groups from three to two (a lot of talk about deactivating 7th Group, which at time covered down on both SOUTHCOM and PACOM). Very few guys made it few that were fresh off the street, because the Q course at that time wasn't about numbers, and a high attrition rate was authorized. When I was younger, I thought I was somewhat better to make it through at that time period before a larger percentage started graduated in the 80s to expand the course; however, time has given me a different perspective. In the 80s standards were lowered initially, then they tightened them back up, and so it went throughout the history of SF. The bottom line is a good soldier is a good soldier regardless of when he went through the Q Course.

However, the new Qualification Course (SFQC) is effectively graduating a large number of "high" quality soldiers, guys that wouldn't bother going into the regular Army if that was their only option. We have successful business men, at least one Phd, and several college graduates coming into our ranks that bring not only life experiences, but in general a higher level of reasoning ability, thus able to solve problems. Sort of reminds me of the OSS filling its ranks with daring lawyers, doctors, and successful businessmen. These guys joined since 9/11 and they joined to fight for their country. They know they have more to offer at this point in their life than being a private in a Mech unit pulling guard duty. Those that don't make it, well then the 82d Airplane gang is getting some top notch kids.

There are challenges with the expansion though on the other end of the pipeline. Once they get to the ODAs (especially when we expand the Bns) you will diluted the senior leadership, thus very few of them will have a senior engineer, weapons, commo, or medical Sgt to mentor the junior in the hard earned knowledge that one only gains in the field. Another problem will be retaining these guys. They had a successful life (many of them) that they want to return to after they fight in the war.

I think it will degrade the force in a number of ways, but not due to the guys coming off the street into SF, but rather due to management challenges, funding issues, and loss of senior mentorship.