Thread: Pre and post deployment support

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default No scientific backing just a thought

I have wonder for quite some time now about PTSD in todays services vs those in the past. I know there are entirely too many variables to really put a finger on it. My biggest questons are is it more widespread today because now people know what PTSD is and diagnose it as such or is it because society today is much easier than it was 20, 30, 50 years ago therefore people are not as desensitized as they were before. Having led easy, stress free lives today compartively to previous generations. I know the stresses today are different than in the past but generally speaking life is easier than in the past for most. Ultimately is it a combination of both? The services themselves are falling into the trap in mind as well of taking the stressors away that very well may have been the reasons for fewer cases in the past.

I wanted to touch on a previous post about the VFW and what therapy a case of beer and some good BBQ with those you were there with you can do for one. In my opinion it should be built into rotations, 2 weeks as a unit with lots of alcohol and good food, in some sweet resort for all in the unit to decompress and support each other. Part of the issue in my mind is that too many today have lost sight of what a "team" truely is. If only I was the hog with the fuzzy nuts.

Just curious what others thoughts are on these.

I am of the thought if we can figure out who is most and who is least suspect to PTSD then we assign them accordingly throughout the services. In my opinion prevention vs rehabilitation is where we need to look.
    Last edited by ODB; 10-18-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.