I think the biggest problem here is how to make sure this results in well-rounded officers who have a combination of solid leadership experience and educational experience. I suspect that the gung-ho Ranger types will flock to Regiment and the egghead types will flock to Princeton.

Many gung ho Ranger types see the value of education. The 75th Ranger Regiment has sent at least four Battalion and Regimental Commanders off to Harvard for fellowships recently, and I am the third field grade officer participating in a program the Regiment has developed with the School of Advanced Military Studies here at Leavenworth.

I think your comments about balancing contemplation with action are accurate, and the Army as an institution needs to foster that. I do not believe that balancing dilutes our field leaders, it more accurately broadens the force. Multi Skilled gets at the essence of the discussion by talking about leader selection -

If we looked "behind the curtain" into the Wizard's control room and changed the way we picked BGs, then we may send a message to rest of the Army that is good for muddy boots AND intellectuals, doers and thinkers, men of Action and Contemplative men.

Leader development, and diversification in leader development, is the other component that the Army needs to address.