Quote Originally Posted by Featherock View Post
True, we don't know all the facts. Have you seen the affidavit though? They interviewed a half dozen soldiers who were there and were pretty unequivocal about what they saw.
Saw that
... The thing I don't understand is why this case is being handled so quickly when the DOJ under Bush has perfected the art of nullifying select parts of the U.S. Constitution and international law.
Until they get brought up short by the Courts. That's the pull of executive vs. Congress that goes on with all Admins; this one just pushed harder than most.

Still your point is understood -- that's why I think there's more here than is readily apparent. We'll see.

I said ""In such speculations, some will lean toward the rule of law; others toward the emotional quotient of the case at hand. No one is wrong."" Your response to that was:
Except Alaya. Under the law he's wrong. And the law is all we have.
A. I don't think Ayala is here speculating. B. Your under the law statement is correct -- if it's proven he was wrong; guilty until proven innocent is not a good plan. C. The law is not all we have.
Trumpeted by anti-war types and anti-Bush people, like, um, every member of the Supreme Court?
Every member? In any event when it gets to the 'trumpeted' part, that's not the case; the trumpeters are the excessively vocal .
It's not a trope, unfortunately.
Sure it's a trope. It has downsides, no question, I've always thought it was a really dumb idea on several levels. Still, I think and my point was that the word 'disaster' is excessive. YMMV -- and obviously does. We can disagree on that as on many things.
...It's not an academic debating point or a literary creation. It's a legal disaster, a humanitarian nightmare, and a big ol black spot on our national character.
A humanitarian nightmare? That's beyond excessive IMO. I've seen and participated in so many big ol' black spots on our national character that are essentially forgotten that you'll have to forgive me for not getting wrought, much less overwrought about yet another.
I can't wait either. My guess is we, as in this country, will take the sly way out of that mess and quietly ship the detainees back to cells in their home countries, or third-party countries, where they will be someone else's problem.
If they follow through on the closing, I suspect you're correct. There are a very few for whom even such solutions will perhaps not be an option.