Thread: lets rethink Jointness

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Ken,

I think, as usual, we agree more than we disagree.

On the training issue, I don't dispute the AF is a bad apple (probabably the worst) a lot of the time which is why I think there needs to be more "adult" intervention at the joint level to ensure the services play nice with each other. We want to minimize "on the job" training as much as possible. And to be sure, the AF perception of the Army is not that different from what's been said about the AF in this thread so far. This division speaks, in my view, to a fundamental lack of communication, understanding and to too much bad blood caused by years of distrust. I'm frankly tired of it and strongly think that someone above the service level needs to tackle this institutional grudge-match head on and force some cooperation and change from all parties.

I also agree in principle with your concerns about joint weapons development, but in my mind the unfortunate reality is that the services (all of them) have proven incompetent at it. They need, at best, mentoring, and at worst, a very very short leash until they can demonstrate some competence as well as to control things like requirements creep. This isn't to suggest that the Army should set requirements for air superiority weapons or that the Air Force should have input on the next destroyer.

120mm,

I understand what you're saying, but the Air Force has training requirements too that need to be met. I have to say I find it kind of amusing that the perception has changed from the AF hating and ignoring CAS to being overly focused on CAS. Some accommodation and artificiality must be introduced for everyone to meet their training requirements. I understand (and fully support) the goal of more non-lethal options in theater, but that should not mean that CAS training should be reduced. After all, when you really do need CAS, do want a pilot supporting you in theater who spent most of his/her time at JMRC burning circles in the sky?

Most of my large training exercise experience is from my Navy time, and accomodations were always made to ensure everyone met their training requirements and got to actually practice their wartime skills. This inevitably means that some players will have to do things they wouldn't actually do in wartime. For example, submarines in exercises will let ASW assets get an initial detection so that ASW assets can practice tracking, engagement, etc. - something a sub would never do in a real war.
    Last edited by Entropy; 12-03-2008 at 05:41 PM.